Historic England listing: 1886 for the Great Northern Railway. Timber framed construction on a red brick base with a Welsh slate roof. The box is of the type known as GNR1(East Lincs). The locking room has three windows with 2 over 2 pane sashes with stone heads and cills. The operating room has continuous glazing to the trackside with four 3-light windows, each light being 4 x 2 panes, the central one in each window slides. Timber mullions between the windows and thinner ones between the lights. The gable end has one 3-light window; one light being a part glazed door at one end, timber staircase. The gable is filled with vertical boarding, single light window, bargeboards with three characteristic piercings, spike finial. Rear elevation not seen but has at least two windows and a truncated brick stack. Interior: This has a lever frame in situ, also a plain fireplace surround on the rear wall. History: The line between Grimsby and Boston was built by the East Lincolnshire Railway and opened in 1848, but it was worked from the start by the GNR and was their first line. It was never taken over by the GNR and remained independent until Grouping in 1923 when it became a part of the LNER. It was, however, block signalled by the GNR in the 1880s with this box being built in 1886. It remained operational until 1980. Reference: Michael Vanns, Signal Boxes, Ian Allan, 1997, PPS 99-100. The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box, OPC, 1986, p 18.
top of page
bottom of page